Wednesday 27 April 2011

Roger Harris - A Tribute

I have just heard the very sad news that Roger Harris has passed away. Not everyone will know who Roger was but he had a major influence on my early musical life.
Roger was a musician and teacher with Solihull Music Service (where I began my musical education). He was a phenomenal trumpeter and an amazingly inspirational jazzer. He taught not only me, but my teachers before me, and as such lay some of the foundations for my love and understanding of jazz. He led Solihull Youth Jazz Orchestra and also the SMC Jazz Band and many of those he taught and nurtured through these ensembles have gone on to great things. He was always fun and interesting to be around and was deeply passionate about music, jazz in particular. He had a great way of inspiring others in a unique style which made you feel confident in your own playing ability.
He will always be remembered by musicians from Solihull, and beyond, and my condolences go out to his family and friends.
His funeral will take place at St Alphege Church, Solihull, at 2.30 on Friday, 6th May.

1 comment:

  1. This is such sad news. He was my trumpet teacher at Junior School and Secondary school. I remember he did brilliant arrangements for the brass groups and his music handwriting was beautiful. He did an arrangement of Norwegian Wood in 5/4 that we couldn't play in Junior School - must've been frustrating for him. I owe him a great deal.

    ReplyDelete